05 June 2007

Memorial Day II: Richard's ceremony

Next we travelled to the corner of Paulina and Grace, to install Richard Fox's plaque (in absentia, I suppose I should say, as Richard was unable to join us).

We waited for the Damen bus.

And waited.

Sunblock was applied.

Waiting.

Lily climbed in and out of her stroller. The only one amongst us successfully self-amusing.

Finally: Bus!

I tried to get a picture of the scrolling LED sign at the fore of the bus that announces the cross-street stops, as our stop simply read "GRACE" in big red blazing letters. Would've been all symbolic and eloquent, no? But here's a tip: Digital pictures of stationary objects on very shaky buses? Usually blurry.

Anyway, here was Richard's story:

One weekday morning, in March of this year, I was out walking. At the corner of Paulina & Grace Streets, I was overwhelmed by a feeling of utter and complete happiness. Truly. I had not felt like that in years and years. I guess I am surprised when I feel content, but this was full-on happiness. The feeling lasted for hours. And I found myself saying, simply, “Thank you.”

I was surprised by the overlap between my story and Richard's; indeed, between mine, Richard's, and a few other stories that people sent me (but I was unable to use this time 'round due to money and time constraints). Indefinable moments of infinite calm. It's a little sad to think that so many of us think of (and recall) these moments as rarified. But I suppose identifying them for what they are makes us what we are: Artists. (And moody ones at that.)

I'd love to think that the installation of the plaques might inspire similar moments of unbridled joy in unsuspecting passersby. I can hope, can't I?

Caution: Moody artist at work


Installing Richard's plaque (after we figured out we could bend it into a curve!)


Photo not taken from shaky bus, but blurry nonetheless


It was decided that the Brown Line train would be the best route to take to Edward's ceremony. Public transport + formalwear = curious stares and smiles from passengers.


I sense an entirely different performance piece in the works...

No comments: